Engine Types 101
KNOW YOUR ENGINE TYPE, FIND YOUR PARTS.
In order for you to find the right parts, you need to know what type of engine you have. By clicking on one of the engines below you can watch a short 2 min video that will help you identify your engine so you can buy parts with confidence.
ENGINE SIZES: 50cc, 125cc, 150cc & 250cc
TYPE: 4-STROKE ENGINE
- TRANSMISSION: CVT (FORWARD, N, REVERSE)
- IDENTIFYING FEATURE: HAS A LONG HORIZONTAL CASE WITH 8-12 BOLTS
ENGINE SIZES: 50cc, 70cc, 90cc, 100cc, 110cc, 125cc, 140cc, & 150cc
TYPE: 4-STROKE ENGINE
- TRANSMISSION: Automatic, Semi-Auto or Manual configurations available
- IDENTIFYING FEATURE: VERY SIMILAR IN LOOK TO A CLASSIC HONDA 50 ENGINE. Please note HONDA OEM PARTS do not cross over to these engines.
VERTICAL ENGINES (Single Cyl.)
ABOUT VERTICAL ENGINES:
Vertical Engines are commonly used in ATVs, Dirtbikes & Dunebuggies/GoKarts. These engines offer reliable performance and average power. We primarily offer parts for the single-cylinder versions of this engine.
- ENGINE SIZES: 125, 200, 250, 260, 300-400cc
- TYPE: 4 - STROKE
- STYLES: CG (OHV); CB (OHC)
- COOLING METHODS: AIR / LIQUID
- CYLINDERS: 1-SINGLE
TRANSMISSION OPTIONS: Automatic, Semi-Auto or Manual configurations available
POCKET STYLE ENGINES (MTA1 & X-STYLE)
Pocket-Bike or Pocket-Quad "minis" commonly use one of the two engine types shown above. These are used in ATVs, Dirtbikes, Stand-Up Scooters, Gas Skateboards, Ice Augers, Gas Blenders and more.
- ENGINE SIZES: 33. 36, 39, 43, 47, 49cc
- TYPE: 2-STROKE (MIXED FUEL OIL: GAS)
- IDENTIFYING FEATURE: SMALL WITH A PULL CORD
- NOTE: PARTS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE BETWEEN MTA1 AND X-STYLE ENGINES. PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW FOR DETAILS.
Please note that we use a general description for the engine "type/style" to help make it easy for you to find parts. However, not all engine manufacturers have the same specs which can prove to be an issue when finding replacement parts. To solve this issue and ensure our parts fit across many models Outside Distributing designs and packs our parts to work with the majority of the units on the market. Be sure to check and confirm the details in the item description and SPEC tabs and also refer to your owners manual before installation. We recommend having all items installed by a professional.